Today on Oprah—yes, the Oprah—there is going to be a segment about happiness which includes the happiest city in America, San Luis Obispo. Jenny McCarthy came to SLO last week to see for herself and report back to Oprah about what makes this city so “happy.” She toured the area and interviewed locals—including our very own Michael Gunther—and today we get to see the rest of the story.
So what makes living and working here so “happy?” Well, here’s my top 10 guesses:
- Only 50 days per year of measureable rain, leaving 306 days of sunshine!
- Every Thursday night the downtown hosts a sizeable Farmers Market, with live music, fresh produce, crafts and local restaurant samplings.
- There are more than 6,500 acres of protected open space for hiking, biking and yearlong outdoor activities.
- This year marks the 17th year of the annual San Luis Obispo International Film Festival.
- SLO was recently cited as #89 of the most socially active cities in the country.
- Every Friday evening during the summer, Mission Plaza hosts Concerts in the Plaza, a free series, with local bands, beer, wine, and plenty of room for dancing.
- SLO is located just 11 miles inland of the Pacific Ocean, nestled in a comfortable Mediterranean climate.
- In 1948, the Frisbee was born right here in a garage in SLO.
- Several very well known businesses were also born right here in SLO: Copelands Sporting Goods, Kinkos and Jamba Juice!
- Last but not least, we have Bubblegum Alley—exactly how it sounds.
But don’t take my word for it. Tune in to The Oprah Show today at 4, and see what she has to say!